Tallberg’s (Paulig’s) House was the first “proper” Jugendstil building in Helsinki – although the term had not been invented yet. What the young architects instead drew up at the time was something in the National Romantic style, which was a harking back to traditional styles of Finland’s past. This meant eschewing the boring old Classicism that had dominated the 1800s.
The announcement that the young Gesellius, Lindgren, Saarinen trio had won the competition in 1897 was a watershed for a major, seismic shift in the direction of architecture in the country. (Though no one could possibly know it at the time.) It marked the launch of a new style of architecture in the country.
Albert Edelfeldt had a painting studio in the attic for a while, and coffee entrepreneur Gustav Paulig later bought the building to be near his coffee roastery located at Satamakatu 9, which he established there in the 1910s. A large Paulig sign could be found on the roof as late as the 1980s, which is why some people know this building not as Tallberg’s House but “the Paulig House”.
“The announcement that the young GLS trio had won the competition in 1897 was a watershed for a major, seismic shift in the direction of architecture in the country.”Helsinki Art Nouveau Jugendstil – The Illustrated Guide